fbpx

Make your home healthy

Make your home healthy
I’m sure all of us at some point in our lives have come across mould, whether we have left the cheese in the fridge for too long, or the forgotten apple left in the fruit bowl or even worse spread throughout our homes, in our bedrooms and bathrooms, but what actually is mould, and how can it affect our health?

Mould is a fungi that given the opportunity will thrive on any surface where moisture is present. Reproduction of mould is caused by the releasing of massive numbers of microscopic spores into the air invisible to the human eye, but easily inhaled which can affect our health. It is largely found in bathrooms, bedrooms and kitchens because they hold the most moisture throughout a home.

There are multiple different types of mould but according to a mould expert (A – Jet Services) there are certain types that love our homes here in New Zealand. Those types include Cladosporium, Aspergillus/Penicillium, Fusarium and Stachybotrys chartarum.

Aspergillus – comes in many different colours as there are more than 185 species of it. It can provoke more reactions such as respiratory infections, inflamed lungs and allergic reactions. It is an allergenic but has the possibility of being toxic.

Cladosporium – is more of an olive green/brown coloured mould found mainly in carpets, wooden floors, fabrics etc. This allergen can lead to respiratory and breathing issues.

Stachybotrys Chartarum – this is generally known as black mold, and it is extremely toxic which is why it is recommended to only be handled by professionals. It is mainly hidden inside wall cavities.

Effects of mould – (Healthline.com)

By inhaling or mould particles or spores we are more likely to experience symptoms such as;

  • Runny nose/ congestion
  • Eye irritation
  • Sneezing
  • Coughing
  • Sore throat
  • Skin rash
  • Headache
  • Lung irritation
  • Wheezing

Also noting you are at higher risk of infection if you suffer from the below

  • Allergies
  • Asthma
  • Compromised immune system etc

Is your house cold, damp and always dripping with water from the condensation? Well you are not alone, and this is the unfortunate living standards for many Kiwi’s, especially renters. Our damp homes are housing mould which ultimately is putting our health at risk. Although there are no life threatening risks of mould, it is definitely an uncomfortable experience and something we shouldn’t have to worry about, especially for our younger and older family members.

Unfortunately, mould can not be fully eliminated and most of us do not have the luxury of getting an expensive HRV system put in, so I have done some research to find the best tips  and tricks to help minimise the growth of mould in our homes, ultimately saving our health in the long run.

  • When possible, open as many windows as you can to allow the fresh air to circulate releasing the moist air.
  • Purchasing a dehumidifier, maybe a slightly more expensive solution but is beneficial as they are designed to reduce the moisture from the air which ultimately makes a room easier to heat.
  • Keep areas in your home dry, using towels to pat down the moist areas.

If you notice mould growing, there are a few options to help reduce it and keep your home healthy and clean.

  • Purchasing ‘Anti Mould Spray’ which you can get from Countdown as cheap as $8.00 a bottle. Once the spray has been applied (per the instructions on the bottle) wipe away the mould on the surfaces with a cloth or using an old toothbrush to get into the tiny areas.
  • Get 50/50 baking soda and water, make a paste and wipe on the affected area, once wiped down, get 50/50 baking soda and water into a spray bottle and spray area, once dry pat down.

We would love to hear your tips and tricks to a happy healthy home! Comment on our post and let us know 🙂